Available records of this church date back to 1856, when a deed was issued for the building lot by Jacob Heisler and his wife, Rachael, and was signed for the trustees for the local congregation by Jacob Heisler, Samuel Sloyer and William Buck. Here on was erected a two story Church, the original as the Eveangelical Church was founded 1800. The pioneer preachers of the Evangelical Association early went through these districted, it is most likely that the work in this area received its greatest impetus from the Orwigsburg revival in 1823, held by Biship Seybert. However we do not have the exact date of the first Evangelical Church in Lewistown Valley.
A building fund for a new church here was started in 1939. The Christian Endeavor Society gave constant support to this Fund. The decision to Build was made May 15, 1941 the architect was engaged and the old building was torn down on May 30. The team shovel began excavations July 15, Mason started work July 20, and the cornerstone was placed August 17 1941 and Much Labor was donated by the local congregation and friends, which kept the total construction costs much below the original figures.
Rev. S.A. Sitler, finacial Counsellor of the East Pa. Conference, gave valuable assistance to the Building committee. An arduaous task was made more enjoyable because of the fine response and co-operatin that has been manifested in the numerous contacts in such an enterprise. For all the fine encouragement that has been given us, we thank all donors most sincerely and praise God, from whom all blessings flow.
Click on the following links below for photos
History Part 2
In 1946 the Evangelical Church united with the United Brethren Church and our congregation name changed to the Calvary Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1968 another denominational Union changed our name to the present Calvary Evangelical United Methodist Church.
From the early days of this congregation, we were part of the Schuylkill Circuit which consisted of as many as five churches, and have had several fine pastors over the years.
In July of 1989, Calvary Evangelical United Methodist Church became independent of the Schuylkill Circuit. At that time, the Eastern Pennsylvania conference of the United Methodist Church, Under Bishop Susan Morrison, appointed the Rev. John Freeman as Pastor, who was our pastor for 10 years.
Various regular worship services have contributed to the devotion of our members here at Calvary over the years. Many of the continue in similar yet today.
Each Sunday morning area residents joined together for Sunday School followed by the morning worship service. An evening service served to close out the day.
Wensday night prayer meetings have served as a source of power for the church as well through the years. We are told that in the early years they wer conducted in the Dutch dialect.
Vacation Bible School began in the early 1950's in co-operation with the neighboring Zion Church and continues to be a popular event each year.